Graduate certificate program

Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies, Certificate in (Post-baccalaureate graduate certificate)

The Department of Gender, Sexuality & Women’s Studies (GSWS) at Virginia Commonwealth University offers a Graduate Certificate in Gender, Sexuality & Women’s Studies. The certificate requires a total of 15 graduate credit hours that is comprised of three core course and two elective courses. The elective courses may be taken in the program or in other graduate programs within the university that offer courses on the subjects of gender, sexuality, and feminism. However, permission of the GSWS adviser is required to take a course outside the program that is counted toward the certificate.


Click for required courses

Courses are offered once a year. In general, it will take one year to earn the certificate. University policy permits students to earn the certificate while pursuing another graduate degree. For additional information on this topic, please contact the department.

How to Apply

All graduate applications are handled by the School of Graduate Studies. The procedures and forms for applying to our graduate certificate may be accessed through the VCU Graduate School.

The following materials are submitted to the Graduate School:

  • Online application and application fee
  • Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended by the applicant
  • Three references from former instructors (one may be from an employer/supervisor)
  • Personal statement that describes the reasons for wishing to peruse our graduate certificate

Following receipt of these materials from the Graduate School, the Department’s Admissions Committee will review applications. Letters indicating the Committee’s decision will be sent generally within two weeks following receipt of all materials by the Department.

It is best to ask references to send completed forms and letters, in a sealed envelope signed across the flap, to you. Once all three are received, the applicant sends them directly to the Graduate School.

Contact the chair for information regarding assistantships, scholarships and additional financial aid information:

Kathleen M. Ingram, J.D., Ph.D.
Phone: 804-827-1307
Fax: 804-828-0401